Search This Blog

Monday 29 April 2013

Yummy cake!

I was in the middle of doing some work (plodding along with an assignment at an appallingly slow rate) and got too tired to concentrate. Obviously that's my cue to have a nap, which I did. Waking up 3 hours later (I was hoping to have a 1 hour nap) I started working again, about half an hour in I realised that I must make a cake.

I had to make it because:
1) I've been craving cakes/ pastries for some days
2) That way I won't go to the local 'boulangerie' too often
3) I found an interesting recipe online that I wanted to try
4) My flatmate made a cake yesterday and I stopped myself from eating some of it
5) I now had the energy to make it.

So I made the cake. It was a recipe that substituted the butter for oil; this trick saved me going to the shops to buy butter, and to use up some extra oil I had about. Gosh! I must be the laziest person I know.

Anyway, the result was absolutely amazing. The cake is soft, yummy and very quick and easy to make. The only (quite big) problem was that it's so soft that when taking it out of the mould, some of it broke apart, which I obviously tried to put back together. But when I tried to re-flip it so it would be the right way up, I realised that I might just end up with a big pile of crumbs, so I left it. It was so soft that when I was checking if it was cooked, I saw that the top was cooked but very bouncy so assumed the inside was still all batter but it wasn't! I was actually surprised that a cake could be that bouncy.

Apparently the thing with oil cakes is that they don't solidify like butter cakes (as you can imagine why) so my cake will stay this soft for as long as it's not been eaten by me :)...

I followed this recipe:

http://acookatheart.blogspot.fr/2011/03/simple-vanilla-cake-using-oil.html

and just halved it.

Anyway, I was rather fascinated by this cake so I had to write about it; this is what happens when work is going slowly and you haven't left the flat in 3 days...

Not exactly a moment of deep reflection about our relationship with food, but food-related nonetheless. I ought to find something else to speak about...

No comments:

Post a Comment