Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 February 2016

Would you like milk with that?

It's been a week that I've been dairy free. My reason for going dairy free is because I had an annoying amount of phlegm (sorry for being so precise) and I felt I ought to detox my body because often dairy is the culprit. I also find that when I fast for the whole month of Ramadan it often goes away, since that's also a detox, but I thought I would go half way.

Also, I can't deny that I've been somewhat influenced by some of the vegans I'm following on Instagram. I respect and understand why vegans have chosen such a lifestyle and I am myself quite a veggie-friendly person anyway but I have to say that I do love milk, cream, butter and cheese- basically fatty foods. Giving up meat wouldn't really be very difficult for me, but dairy would probably be the main challenge for me. 

Anywho, as mentioned above, I do love dairy- and we've switched to organic milk now but detoxing is my motive here. One week in (for my intended month) and I do have to say that yesterday I still had some phlegm. But I feel like my tongue is pinker, which I take as a good sign. I have been feeling a little more fatigued during the day and so I have taken my iron tablets to boost me- since now I should have good absorption levels without any dairy consumption. 

I bought some almond milk as a substitute, because I need some milk in my tea and I was wary of how soya milk is processed. I bought both sweetened and unsweetened and have only yet opened the unsweetened. I can say that I understand now why there is a sweetened version. It's quite different, having a slightly grainy texture and the taste takes getting used to I suppose. I used a little bit in some ginger tea, which made it look as if the milk had split but it was still ok, and two tablespoons in a cake that required milk. This morning I made myself a banana milkshake, with a ripe banana, almond milk, a bit of vanilla and 1.5 teaspoons of sugar. I have to say I am looking forward to finishing this milk and then maybe buying an organic soya milk instead- or even rice milk...

This morning I had a glass of warm water with freshly-squeezed lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and honey which was quite a shock to my tastebuds at 7am but hopefully that will also help cleanse the system. 

I hope to add more about my progress on this short journey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment