Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 December 2019

Rich People Problems (2017)

Rich People Problems is the final novel in the trilogy by Kevin Kwan, published in 2017 by Doubleday (Penguin). My digital edition was 393 pages (paperback 384 pages) and the novel was divided into four parts with a total of 56 chapters with added prologue and epilogue. I will share my thoughts on the content, form and generally compare it to the two preceding novels. 



Kwan chooses to play with his writing in this novel by keeping some elements the same (chapters headed by locations) but also offering the readers more "first-hand" information from sources like magazine articles, adverts and other literary sources. This, as well as the different focuses Kwan offers in each chapter, provide a range of perspectives for the reader in an intertwined plot. Kwan pulls this off really well and it keeps the novel dynamic and engaging. He competently adapts his writing styles to the literary sources, from diary entries to gossip articles and they help to make the reader feel more involved with the whole intrigue. A few new settings (especially in India) added a new flavour to the range of experiences he described too, and I definitely appreciated those brief "visits". 

As far as the storyline goes, Rich People Problems gave me what I wanted (to develop the story between Nick and his grandmother- and Tyersall Park) and much more. Kwan manages to combine and tie up both the first and second novels extremely well. It justifies and compensates the second novel, for China Rich Girlfriend does provide a fair amount of background for half of this novel's story. I found this final story to be extremely eventful, which offered a good pace to all the happenings. Kwan managed to keep the balance between creating suspense and filling scenarios with emotion without them lingering on for too long and allowing the reader some relief or at least some progress on the issue(s) at hand. 

I also valued Kwan's approach to history in this novel. Crazy Rich Asians and Rich People Problems offer a colonial context to Singapore, especially in its architecture, but I liked how Kwan went the extra mile in this novel. By taking the reader into the past, Kwan characterised Su Yi more thoroughly as well as deepen our understanding of the relationships in the novel. 

Overall, I have to say I loved this book as much as the first one and it gave me much more than what I was expecting. I'm glad I chose to read the final of the trilogy despite the slight "slump" in the middle. Believe it or not, this novel shows that rich people do have a whole host of problems. Ranging from being accepted into high society to inheritance and being released of the "shackles" of elite norms, Rich People Problems definitely offers readers an enjoyable and emotional experience into this wealthy world.

***

Have you read this novel? What did you think of it? Comment your thoughts below, I'd love to hear what you thought. 

*** 

Follow me on instagram @nafisasiddique for updates on my latest posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment