Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 January 2013

First days at university

University has finally started this week and it all seems rather surreal. They make classes for international students slightly easier, so I'm glad about that. We've got a two-week trial period where we can swap modules/ classes; there's one that I will have to double-check whether I made the right choice or not. I found signing up for classes was a very traditional affair: there was a board with a list of the modules and times, and then behind us there were corresponding booklets to which you added your name (and then turned up to the relevant lecture). None of this online business.

   I'm meeting more international students, which is always nice because you've got people to talk to about all the strange French cultural things you've come across- or even learn about their cultural tendencies, but a shame because we often speak English amongst ourselves. I was hoping to find some Muslims to mingle with but there aren't that many on campus... and they're not all that open to new faces. I might get a salaam out of them at the most. I guess we're like that in the UK too. We just get on with our own thing and don't really acknowledge the others around us much. Maybe I need to make more effort? Probably... I obviously want to meet Muslims because then I might be able to get involved in some "ISoc"-related stuff- and that way won't feel like a loser rejecting all the trips to the local bars. I managed to go to a German girl's flat last weekend for dinner. It was really nice because there were a few of us girls and we cooked, ate and chatted away... The only shame was that I had to leave at about 8.30pm (ish) because it was a Sunday and my tram ends at about 9pm. It's strange getting used to the early transport hours and lack of taxis (there are taxis here but they're too expensive to use casually). Students being students have learnt to use the tram/ bus timings to their advantage. Instead, they choose to be out the house for 12am and they party all night until the trams start again in the morning (apparently at around 5am). Rather ingenious I thought...

   Ok, so it's Rabi-al-Awwal and in Grenoble the 12th is tomorrow (Thursday) insha' Allah. In celebration for the lovely occasion, I'm going to venture into the kitchen to make Gulab Jamun to share with my flatmates. I'll only offer them if they turn out ok though (because it's the first time I'm making them alone). On my shopping trip around my local area, I found that it's rather difficult to find self-raising flour here. They don't have flour with the raising agent already added, except for some bread flours, but that's not what I was looking for. Anyway I purchased my flour and raising agent separately and then had to hunt down some milk powder, or lait en poudre. I need to open the one I bought and check if it'll do the job. However, it is rather easy to find couscous here...

   And a little incident that happened yesterday... My first lecture was at 9.30am in Amphi 5 (lecture theatre 5) and the following one at 10.30am in Amphi 3. I waited outside the second lecture theatre amongst all the other students, trying to see if I recognise anyone from previous sessions but couldn't really find a familiar face. Once the lecturer arrived and we trooped in and got my stuff out. The lecturer then said something in French to do with theatre... and I was supposed to be in a translation class. Two girls walked out and I thought I'd wait it out a little before I did the same. He started handing out leaflets about performance arts and I'd seen a few others (including one 'international' face I'd recognised) walking in and out of the lecture theatre so it was time to grab all my luggage and get the people on my row to get up so I could leave while the lecturer continued his French mumbling. The rooms had been changed and the students weren't informed (lack of communication in admin) so all of us turned up a little late and lost. Slightly embarrassing! The real lecture was a lot more fun than what those theatre kids were going through.

Note to British students: Be glad to have a 9am start. Here, uni can start as early as 8.30am (my Wednesday timetable) and there's a possibility for lectures to last until 7.30pm. I would much prefer a 'full day' in Britain than in Grenoble! Thankfully my timetable is relatively empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment