Search This Blog

Monday 14 January 2013

What Makes a Curry a Curry?

I didn't expect to write another post so soon because nothing spectacular has really happened; but then I was inspired- in the kitchen of all places. I have a big question, hence why it made it as my 'Post Title'. The question comes from my latest adventures in la cuisine, where of course- as many of you will already know- I'm not the happiest.

So I want some serious input (comments) on this one because I need to know whether I can still call my cooking a curry. I may be an outcast to the 'Indian Curry Purists' (if they exist) and I may be attacked vehemently by the Sabzi Bid'a (innovation) Police because I've been cooking up some not-so-conventional curries.

This is my second go in the kitchen (yes, my last dish lasted me 7 days thanks to eating out on Saturday) and both of my "curries" have been somewhat different. The last one, I started with the best of intentions. Onions, ginger, garlic, spices- all went in as did my vegetables. That's where the first innovation came in... I used potatoes, carrots and... a pepper (capsicum). After that, I got a little carried away with the tomato puree/ sauce and so it was a rather rich orangey-red colour. Orange of course because there was the haldi (turmeric) at play. It tasted alright, I didn't fall ill and I now think spices get stronger the longer you leave the food...

Today I nearly went shopping for groceries but then laziness got the better of me. So, because I have no food left over, I had to cook again. I opted for couscous so I thought I would make a simple vegetable curry sauce to go with it. Looking in my fridge I only had 1 pepper (but only half was useable) and some small carrots. I started with the oil, added some cumin and other random whole spices to 'season' the oil... and then the haldi, red chilli powder, water, and the carrots. As that was all simmering away, I realised I missed the onions. I was ready to find that I wouldn't have the best 'gravy' for my vegetables. Anyway, everything went in and was cooking away- added tomato puree/ sauce again to give my curry some depth and it smelt curry-like but probably wouldn't pass as a meal anywhere. I have ended up with a really watery, orangey substance with random carrots and peppers floating about. It tastes alright though. Insha' Allah this too will last a few days and I won't fall ill from it.

I don't think I can host any guests with curries of that standard though, nor can I be the exotic Indian in the kitchen for my flatmates- because to be fair, I'm probably not setting the best example. Perhaps I should stick to old school classics like potatoes and chick peas, or shall I carry on innovating and let my pantry tell me how to cook??

1 comment:

  1. Stop innovating. It can only get worse. Try to improve the disasters you have have already concocted.

    ReplyDelete