Search This Blog

Sunday 13 January 2013

On the Road to University

The past few days haven't been all that exciting. I have just had to discuss things with my two universities concerning modules and other formalities. The people at the university seem to be really helpful and friendly which is always nice and I will be starting my 'Semaine d'Accueil' this week (it's a Welcome Week). I get to feel like a first year as an international student! It's going to be interesting. Insha' Allah I'll get to meet loads more people from all over the world (because we have some timetabled tours together).

Also, I think I have found my favourite road sign in France. I never thought I would have a favourite one of those but I just love it! It's not just this one of course, I smile at each one I see on my not-very-far travels.


The mountain and clouds were accidental features in the picture, which I noticed after I took the photo, but I think they add a nice touch. 


Also, yesterday I went to a Muslim couple's house (invited by a friend) and as they were discussing the treatment of Muslims in France I was shocked to learn how difficult and intolerant/ ignorant people can be with simple matters that really don't affect them, like someone fasting. It made Britain seem like a safe haven and I started to love home a little bit more for it. Prayer rooms are very difficult to procure and any mention of things of that sort can have serious after-effects on your working life i.e. rapport between colleagues etc. I will have to see how things fare out in this regard because so far I feel like I've been given a pretty good welcome from Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment